I am an Associate Professor and Associate Chair in the Department of Computer & Electrical Engineering and Computer Science (CEECS) at Florida Atlantic University (FAU) (Boca Raton, Florida). I received my Ph.D. in Computer Engineering from FAU in 2001.
My research interests are in the area of intelligent processing of visual information, which combines the fields of image processing, computer vision, image retrieval, machine learning, and human visual perception. My current interests are mostly focused on: (i) the combination of human computation and machine learning techniques to solve computer vision problems; and (ii) robust methods for visual information retrieval.
- The book: “Visual Information Using Java and LIRE” (a Morgan & Claypool Synthesis Lecture), co-authored with my colleague Mathias Lux (Alpen-Adria Universität Klagenfurt, Austria) is also available for Kindle.
- My Teaching page has been updated with courses for Spring 2014.
Research (see Research page for more)
- Working on “the use of human computation to solve selected computer vision problems” with colleagues from ENSEEIHT (Toulouse, France), UPC (Barcelona, Spain), and students at FAU
- Working on “user intentions in multimedia” with colleagues from Alpen-Adria Universität Klagenfurt (Austria)
- Working on “sparse models and image constrained dictionary learning” (Joel Gibson’s PhD dissertation)
Teaching (see Teaching page for more)
- COP 3813 - Introduction to Internet Computing - FAU – Spring 2014
- CNT 4104 – Introduction to Data Communications - FAU - Spring 2014
- COT 4935 – Senior Seminar - FAU - Spring 2014
- Editorial Board Member – Journal of Multimedia Tools and Applications (Springer)
- Co-chair of the Doctoral Symposium for ACM Multimedia 2014 (Orlando, FL)
Department of Computer & Electrical Engineering and Computer Science (CEECS)
My office (EE 441) is on the 4th floor of the
View Larger Map